Honesty has and will always be the best policy. It is a distinctive quality of leaders with impeccable values to impart to others. Honesty is void of lies and dubious practices. Sadly, this virtue is fast diminishing in our world today.
We find ourselves in an era of lies, fake news, trendy pretense and clearly dishonest leaders. These days we find the truth being manipulated and covered up for ulterior motives.
Honesty is a sign of integrity. You can hardly talk about one without referring to the other. Nothing repels and tarnishes anyone’s image like dishonesty. It is a big problem when people can’t trust you. You lose opportunities when you are not reliable with neither your words nor actions.
In the same vein standing up for the truth at all times does not always get you the trophy. You can lose friends… the wrong kinds of course. So, I guess it’s a good thing at the end of the day.
Choosing the path of honesty is also a powerful way to show our vulnerability. You admit the truth regardless of how weak or helpless it makes you feel. The bright side of this is that it shows you are a master of yourself and you are free to own your truths.
Even if it means standing alone, honesty has its perks. Let’s take a look at some inspiring honesty Bible verses and quotes from great minds.
1. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor – Exodus 20:16
2. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway – Kent M. Keith
3. He that loses his honesty has nothing else to lose – John Lyly
4. For we are concerned for what is honorable not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of others – 2 Corinthians 8:21
5. Honesty is the best policy. If I lose mine honor, I lose myself – William Shakespeare
6. A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends – A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends – Proverbs 16:28
7. Honesty is grounded in humility and indeed in humiliation, and in admitting exactly where we are – Thomas Wentworth
8. If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it – Marcus Aurelius
9. Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways – Proverbs 28:6
10. No legacy is so rich as honesty – William Shakespeare
11. The greatest truth is honesty and the greatest falsehood is dishonesty – Abu Kahr
12. Whoever walks blamelessly is safe, but one whose ways are crooked falls into a pit – Proverbs 28:18
13. Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth – Kenneth H. Blanchard
14. Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence – Lenmuel K. Washburn
15. Lord, who may abide in your tent? Who may dwell on your holy mountain? Whoever walks without blame, doing what is right, speaking truth from the heart Psalm 15:1-2
16. A half truth is a whole lie – Yiddish Proverb
17. Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people – Spencer Johnson
18. These then are the things you must do: Speak the truth to one another; judge with honesty and complete justice in your gates. Let none of you plot evil against another in your heart, nor love a false oath. For all these things I hate - Zechariah 8:16-17
19. Leading your life honestly and truthfully will create trust and friendship – Dalai Lama
20. Honesty is of God and dishonesty of the devil, the devil was a liar from the beginning – Joseph B. Wirthlin
21. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth – John 4:23-24
22. Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom – Thomas Jefferson
23. You shall not repeat a false report. Do not join your hand with the wicked to be a witness supporting violence – Exodus 23:1
24. Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones – John Lennon
25. As for you, if you walk before me as David your father did, wholeheartedly and uprightly, doing all that I have commanded you, keeping my statutes and ordinances, I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised David your father: There shall never be wanting someone from your line on the throne of Israel – 1 Kings 9:4-5